Let’s start off with why the IQAir Perfect 16 is so important: IQAir has been chosen by the American Lung Association as the exclusive educational partner for the air purifier industry. They are committed to lung health and disease prevention, and we at Back to New Heating & Cooling are proud to have been chosen by IQAir as their only authorized dealer in the Tampa Bay area and The Villages.
IQAir and the American Lung Association
The IQAir Perfect 16 derives its name from being the first independently tested residential and commercial air cleaning system for HVAC systems to achieve the highest minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV 16) under the ASHRAE 52.2 test format.
Other characteristics of the system include very low pressure drop (lengthening the life of HVAC systems by sparing the load placed upon them by typical filtration systems) and a filter life of up to 3 years. In addition, as the HVAC system doesn’t have to work as hard, a great energy savings is the usual result.
Handheld Laser Particle Counters
In 2000, IQAir introduced a line of hand-held optical particle counters.
IQAir develops and manufactures all of its products at the IQAir Technology Center in Switzerland.
Portable Units – The Health Pro Line and Other IQAir Portable Units
IQAir’s portable air purifiers have been recognized for best-in-class performance and have received a number of awards:
- Stiftung Warentest (Germany) “Best Air Purifier” 1998
- Apartment Therapy (USA) “Best Product” 2008
- Finnish Institute of Occupational Health (Finland) “Best Air Purifier” 2012
- Consumers Digest (USA) “Best Buy” Award 2004, 2007, 2011, 2014
- Reviewboard Magazine (USA) “Best Buy” 2012
- Parent Tested/Parent Approved (USA) “Award Winning Product” 2013
- ConsumerSearch (USA) “Best Overall Air Purifier” Award 2011, 2013
As of August 2013, IQAir is the only manufacturer that individually tests the particle-removal efficiency and airflow of every air purifier it manufactures. IQAir provides a hand-signed certificate of performance with every IQAir portable air purifier it makes, stating the actual performance data for that system compared to the published specifications.
IQAir products are used in hospitals around the world for infection control. The Hong Kong Hospital Authority selected IQAir portable air purifiers to help against the spread of SARS. A study published in the Journal of Hospital Infection reported that an IQAir Cleanroom H13 air purifier reduced Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) contamination in hospital isolation rooms. The researchers concluded: “This portable HEPA-filtration unit can significantly reduce MRSA environmental contamination within patient isolation rooms, and this may prove to be a useful addition to existing MRSA infection control measures.” Another study conducted at Singapore General Hospital and published in the American Journal of Infection Control in 2010 found that the use of IQAir portable air purifiers with HyperHEPA filtration reduced the spread of invasive aspergillosis (IA) by 50%. The researchers concluded: “The cost of widespread portable HEPA filtration in hospitals will be more than offset by the decreases in nosocomial infections in general and in IA in particular.”
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
In 2004, IQAir was asked by the producers of the American reality TV show “Extreme Makeover: Home Edition” (EMHE) to assist with its technology to help the show’s designers to create ultra-clean air homes. As of December 2012, IQAir had participated in 12 episodes to create ultra-clean air homes for families with special health issues.
The episodes in which IQAir participated include:
- The Grinnan Family – Season 2, Episode 4, Redlands, California: A young girl (Hanna) who received a heart transplant needed a healthy home that protects her from germs, viruses and mold spores. IQAir installed HEPA air cleaners throughout the house and Hanna’s bedroom.
- Broadbent Family – Season 2, Episode 10, North Las Vegas, Nevada: A single mom raising three HIV-positive, adopted children was given a new home. IQAir installed air filtration systems to work in conjunction with the new home’s HVAC systems to deliver ultra-clean air to the family’s entire home.
- The Sears Family – Season 2, Episode 13, Martinez, California: Teenager Jhyrve Sears was diagnosed with Krabbe Disease and needed a home to protect her from bacteria, viruses and allergens before her doctors would let her go home. The IQAir Clean Air Team installed an air quality sensor and HyperHEPA filtration.
- The Lewis Family – Season 3, Episode 8, El Segundo, California: Paulita Lewis was recovering from cancer and was told she needed the healthiest home possible. IQAir to helps the EMHE team make the home as healthy as possible by installing a ducted air filtration system.
- The Kubena Family – Season 3, Episode 18, East Bernard, Texas: The Kubena family’s daughter Tara suffered from leukemia and had received a bone marrow transplant. The doctors wouldn’t allow her to leave the hospital until she had a safe, healthy home. Two IQAir hospital-grade air cleaning systems were brought in by crane to provide clean air throughout the home.
- The Thibodeau Family – Season 4, Episode 7, Brookings County, South Dakota: A 12-year-old girl born with a hole in her heart had experienced kidney failure and collapsed lungs. Her doctors said only an environment as free as possible of bacteria, viruses and mold spores would be safe for her to live in. IQAir installed two HVAC-based air purification systems in the home.
- The Stockdale Family – Season 5, Episode 9, Middleton, Idaho: A family struggling to raise four children with eosinophilic enteropathy, a rare genetic disorder that made the children extremely environmentally sensitive, were given a new healthy home with three IQAir Perfect 16 HVAC air cleaning systems.
- The Yazzie Family– Season 5, Episode 5, Pinon, Arizona: A Navajo family was struggling to provide a safe home for a young daughter, Gwendolyn, with severe asthma. IQAir stepped in to provide a green air purification solution.
- The Vitale Family – Season 5, Episode 9, Athens, Vermont: Born with multiple birth defects, aspiring artist Louis Angelo Vitale, Jr., was confined to a wheelchair and breathing from a ventilator. His delicate respiratory system was especially sensitive to mold and other pollutants. IQAir’s Perfect 16 gave him clean, medical-grade air in every room at home.
- The Woodhouse Family– Season 5, Episode 13, Colorado Springs, Colorado: Kayla Woodhouse, a girl with a rare neurological disorder, allergies and an inability to regulate her body temperature needed a healthy and safe home. The IQAir Clean Air Team supported Extreme Makeover’s designers with the installation of HVAC system that provided a clean and temperature-controlled house.
- The Dickinson Family – Season 8, Episode 21, Beaufort, Georgia: India Dickinson’s baby Sophia, was a little girl with breathing problems and a sensitivity to mold. Working with the Extreme Makeover team, IQAir installed a Perfect 16 whole-house air cleaning system in the Dickinson family’s new home.
- The Harris Family – Season 9, Episode 20, Wilson County, Texas: A veteran returning from Iraq and recovering from severe burns needed clean air at home to continue recovering and protect his sensitive skin from pollutants. IQAir worked with Extreme Makeover to provide medical-grade air filtration and air-quality monitoring equipment to help the veteran’s recovery in a new home.
Infant Baby Jaelyn’s Heart Transplant – and Better Than Hospital Quality IQAir!
Air purification for Team USA
IQAir provided air purification to Team USA during the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. The U.S. Olympic Committee was concerned about the impact of local air pollution on athlete performance, and asked IQAir to provide air cleaning to U.S. athletes living quarters in the Olympic Village and at the main training facility in China. IQAir also provided air purification to the USA Cycling team headquarters during the Olympics.
Air purification at the Los Angeles Zoo
The IQAir Clean Air Team assisted the LA Zoo to create a pressurized clean air cage for Minyak, a rare Bornean orangutan with a long history of respiratory problems. Minyak recovered and became a successful member of the zoo’s breeding program.
Air purification for schools
IQAir was selected by the South Coast Air Quality Management District and other air quality agencies to provide high-performance air filtration for classrooms in schools close to major outdoor air pollution sources. As of June 2013, IQAir’s air filtration technologies were installed in more than 1000 classrooms in California. A study published in 2012 in INDOOR AIR reports that IQAir air cleaning technology is able to protect classrooms from up to 96% of outdoor diesel soot, PM 2.5 and ultrafine particles.
So, is there an IQAir product right for you? Home indoor air is up to 70 times more polluted than outdoor air, and most of the indoor air pollution in your home is at or below waist level. So whether it’s your pets you’re thinking about, the young ones crawling around or playing on the floor, or if it’s just when you’re sitting down relaxing on the sofa watching a movie TV, or in bed sleeping, sick, or in a wheel chair – you’re breathing the worst quality air you can breathe indoors – so whether the Perfect 16 is right for you, or one of the IQAir portable air purifier units – you’ll breathe easier breathing cleaner indoor air.
Click here to learn more about IQAir and their involvement with The American Lung Association.